The International Women’s Earth and Climate Initiative is a solutions-based, multi-faceted effort established to engage women worldwide to take action as powerful stakeholders in climate change and sustainability solutions. For Our Earth and Future Generations A project of Women's Earth and Climate Caucus and its partner eraGlobal Alliance
Global participation in the Women's Earth and Climate Summit:
Join us September 20th-23rd! Participate in the Summit from your home, office, university or community.Learn more about the IWECI Summit Live Stream and Vision Hubs »
MISSION—A GLOBAL WOMEN’S EARTH AND CLIMATE ACTION MOVEMENTIWECI engages women grassroots activists, Indigenous and business leaders, policy makers and culture-shapers in collaboration. Our goal is to stop the escalation of climate change and environmental and community degradation, while accelerating the implementation of sustainability solutions through women’s empowerment, partnerships, hands-on trainings, advocacy campaigns, and political, economic, social and environmental action.
IWECI was created to accelerate a holistic Global Women’s Earth & Climate Action Movement. Our five-point plan for the first two years’ of action in 2013 and 2014 includes:
- Online Action ; Networking Platform (launching on International Women’s Day, March 8, 2013) - to spark project collaborations, sustainability business opportunities, and campaigns designed to advance long-term cross-cultural, cross-sector, cross-generational and cross-socioeconomic networking and mobilization.
- International Day of Action - creating a global photo mosaic of women promoting the slogan “Women for Earth and Future Generations”.
- The International Women's Earth and Climate Summit (20-23 September 2013, New York) - an unprecedented gathering of women leaders dedicated to addressing solutions for climate change and environmental degradation.
- Solution Spotlight, Projects and Action Campaigns - promoting best-practice solutions, on the ground sustainable projects , business and trainings that deliver benefits to both women, communities and the environment, and engaging in action campaigns focused on the most pressing issues.
- North American Regional Gathering - To engage women in the United States to mobilize together in support of concerted climate change solutions for the US.
Our basic relationship with the natural world has been distorted. Humanity is systematically destroying our home and undermining the ecosystems of our Earth. We are in need of a paradigm shift.
Global climate change is no longer a distant warning but is rapidly approaching a tipping point of no return. Scientists warn that the opportunity to prevent the worst impacts of climate change will be “lost forever” unless the global community changes course by 2017. This means we have four years to cap global emissions in order to reverse the current trajectory and change the deadly course we are on presently.
It is internationally recognized that women are critical to implementing climate change and sustainability solutions, yet there is currently not enough prominent mechanisms to wield a united effort into a defined movement. IWECI is engaging women's organizations worldwide, inside and outside the environmental arena, to join together and create a groundbreaking movement.
|Icon by Betsy Porter|