Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Anima Sanctuary Update

 "A steady stream of elk have been driven east across our Anima Refuge by the alarming smoke."
"Given the steady eastward progress of the Wallow Fire and absence of rain in the near future, I have to avoid denial and accept that we likely have a scary 70% chance of our land being burned out.  This is NOT to say that I am resigned to such a fate, we will oppose it in every way possible.  Nor are we fatalistic about it.  As we teach in Anima, the only thing that is hopeless, is the person unwilling or unable to hope."
Jesse Wolf Hardin, from his Blog (6/20)
I am sorry to report that things are not looking good for Anima Sanctuary.  Here in Tucson it's a roaring 112 degrees, bone dry, and no sign of the monsoon season.  Still praying for these dedicated and courageous people.

“Considering what I get from the work that you and your family do… I wish I could have given more.  All your hard work is not for nothing. You live in the wilderness, at the complete mercy of nature’s whims.  You’re not a martyr, and I can’t tell you how much I respect that…. You are raising awareness, inspiring and enlightening people, even in the face of the destruction of your home. I don’t know what it feels like to have the prospect of your home being destroyed, and not only that but a place that you’ve put blood and guts into restoring… But if the fire hits your canyon, it will not kill the spirit that runs through it. It can be built again. And you’ll have hands to help.”   -Rebecca A.

No comments: