Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sig Lonegren

Callanish Stones, Outer Hebrides, Scotland
Since I can't seem to finish my latest entry in this journal, I felt like sharing one from Sig Lonegren, who I met many years ago when, quite without any intention on his part, he set me to wandering and wondering on my path. At the time, I was living in Vermont, and wandered down, rather hungover, to the Putney Inn for a cup of coffee. Unknown to me, the New England Archeological Research Association was having its conference there, and before I knew it, I was on a bus with Sig's group, and learning to dowse for ley lines at several of the mysterious cairns and sacred sites that are in the Putney area. A year later I sat with a group of people and watched the Sun rise through two huge entranceway stones aligned with the Summer Solstice.

Stone cairn chamber, Putney, Vermont

Dear Friends,

I have been reading in "
Northern Earth" and hearing from friends in the publishing business that the bottom seems to be dropping out in terms of Earth Mystery (EM) magazines and books. The number of magazines covering this subject are falling here in the UK, and in the publishing business, they are just not bringing out as many books in this area as they had been doing in previous decades. Of course, the recession is responsible for some of this, but also, it is my feeling that a saturation point has been reached as far as the archaeological evidence our prehistoric ancestors have left us, therefore, the speculation as to what they might have been up to. How many more articles like "Ley Lines Really Do Exist!" or "Is Alexander Thom's Work on Archaeoastronomy more than Fantasy?" do you really need to read?

Archaeoastronomy in Sacred Space

How many more pictures of ancient (and new) sacred sites being oriented towards the Sun do we need to convince us that all over the planet, our ancestors gnew something we don't?

We live in changing times. The old paradigms that Western Man's civilisation has been living by don't seem to be working so well these days. Climate change appears to have some validity; the rape of our planet is growing ever more evident. Our economic system ain't doin' so good, and, today, regardless of what you think about 2012, its acceptance is predicated on an awareness by many people on our planet that change in one form or another needs to come. (The New Age movement of the eighties was a precursor of this same realisation.)

So now, there is perhaps a shift from "What were prehistoric people up to in their sacred sites?" to "I do not seek to walk in the footsteps of the ancient ones, I seek what they sought."   (Read: how can I use all of this Earth Mystery information to experience the reality of the Spiritual World myself?)

Our prehistoric foremothers and fathers were certainly in to the stars and other heavenly bodies. Do you know where Saturn or Mars or Venus will be in the sky this evening just after sunset? I'd put money on the reality that your 17,500th Great Grandfather (5 generations a century x 3,500 years) knew just where these planets were. 


So, how did your 17,500th Great Grandma and Grandpa relate to the heavens whilst in their sacred sites? And, much more importantly for us now here at the end of the beginning of our EM journey, might we be able to do the same today?

Of course, there is not one correct way (I'm no Fundamentalist), but I have developed a process that that might help others to experience this directly. I call it, "ArchaeoAstrology: From Knowing to Gnowing," and I will be offering this in a three part workshop at the BSD Convention in Cirencester next weekend.

}:-)
Sig Lonegren
SunnyBank
9 Bove Town
Glastonbury, Somerset BA6 8JE
England
http://www.geomancy.org

+44 (0)1458 835 818

2 comments:

Gail said...

Once again, you have me wishing I had been with you on that morning long ago. Gail

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Love this post. A chance encounter sets you on a particular path.