Sunday, January 2, 2022

Requiem: Art for the Sixth Extinction

                                                                                  




Only in this hoarded span will love persevere.   
Whether you are pretty or not, I outlive you, I
bend down my strange face to yours 
in farewell.

Anne Sexton, "All My Pretty Ones"


Xerces Blue Butterfly.  Became extinct in 1945, one of the first American
butterflies to become extinct from habitat loss caused by urban development.


I just applied for a Puffin Grant to do a Shrine for the 6th Extinction as part of Dia de Los Muertes next fall.  I hope I will be able to do it..................it has been in my mind for a long time.



 

"We have been raised to think that our body ended here, with this bag of skin, or with our possessions or education or house.  Now we begin to realize that our body is the world."
Joanna Macy 



it's 3:23 in the morning
and I'm awake
because my great great grandchildren
won't let me sleep
my great great grandchildren
ask me in dreams
what did you do while the planet was plundered?
what did you do when the earth was unraveling?

Drew Dellinger, Hieroglyphic Stairway



                                                               

1 comment:

Trish MacGregor said...

Wow! This is beautiful, Lauren. I love anything Anne Sexton wrote. & your comment went into spam, so now it's up! Thank you!