Monday, August 10, 2026

Quon Yin and Spirit

     



"Kuan Yin, Goddess of  Mercy for all suffering beings, please come to me here and now. You Who hear the cries of the World and do not turn away,  hear also me in my need.  Pour out upon me,  and upon the world, the healing waters of your love.  Flood us with its Light.  In you, I seek refuge, in Your example, I seek the same within me.  Show us Your ters of your love and goodness, and flood us with its light. In you I seek refuge, show us your Great Compassion."

I recently met a lovely young woman who came to see my work.  I showed her several works I've done dedicated to Quon Yin, the Chinese Goddess of compassion, and asked if she would let me take a photo of her for a possible future painting of Quon Yin.  She held vase to symbolize the healing waters Quon Yin is usually portrayed with, and these are the three photos I took.

I was amazed when I looked at them later.  The second photo shows violet and rainbow bands around her hands and forehead.  The third photo............amazing.  It shows a beautiful "halo" around her head! There are also light bands around her hands or the jar she is holding, as well as a blue shape in the lower right of the photograph.  

I did nothing to manipulate this photograph.  I've had other such phenomena in the past when working with sacred archetypes or theatre - and when it happens, I feel it's an Blessing of some kind, and an indication that we are not alone.  Here I share this because I believe it's to let any who see it know that the compassion and healing energy of Quon Yin, of the Goddess, the Divine Feminine is active in the world, and with us. 

In Mahayana Buddhism Quon Yin is revered as a Bodhisattva, an Enlightened One, who refused to enter the divine realms and vowed instead  to remain until all living beings could also attain enlightenment.  Not unlike the Blessed Mother Mary of Christianity, it is Quon Yin Who "Hears the cries of the world", Quan Yin who is prayed to for healing, for aid at times of fear or suffering. She is often shown carrying a rosary of pearls, known as the "Pearls of Illumination"  and shown carrying healing water, the Water of Life.  Just as the Virgin Mary is virtually everywhere throughout the art and iconography of the Christian world, the Mother - so is Quan Yin's image  - sometimes She is shown as the "Goddess with a thousand arms", each hand  bearing wisdom tools, aid and healing to those in distress and need.  

No comments: