Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The Autumnal Equinox: Mabon and the Day of Balance

 

I am a lover of the steady Earth and of Her waters
"Let the light be brilliant" She says,  
"for those who will cherish color."

She will rust us with blossum,
She will seal us with her Seed.

From "Verses at Powis" by Robin Williamson

Mabon is traditionally the 2nd Harvest Festival of three (Lammas in August, and Samhain in October being the other two).  It falls on the day  of the autumnal Equinox as the Wheel of the Year turns.  As leaves turn color, as the sun feels gentler and mornings cooler, as apples fall to the ground from laden trees, we can give thanks for the bounty of the harvest.  All of the harvest I believe, even those that were challenges, challenges that somehow deepened wisdom or compassion, and gave us strength.  This is a time to give thanks and celebrate all that nourishes us, be it food, companionship, or growth. The Day of Balance, for me, is a time to speak and remember what has been harvested this year, the bright Blessings and the dark Blessings as well.  On this Auspicious Day,  when day and night are the same, may we experience the peace of Balance: for ourselves, and the greater life of the world.  

Often at this time of the year I play the song I've embedded here by the true Bard, Robin Williamson, called Verses at Powis.  Because that poem, accompanied by harp, speaks so deeply for me about Mother Earth.  And this sacred day as well.
,
I've told this story before, but it's worth telling again.  

In the 80's I lived for a while in New York City, and was invited to be part of  a performance organized at a small theatre in the East Village for the Equinox.   My friend Rose asked me to do some kind of ritual for the  occasion. I couldn't think of anything,  and felt quite intimidated with the prospect of creating a ritual for an audience of New York sophisticates. 

I was visiting a friend in the country at the time, and I  happened to be standing near an apple tree.  I can still see in my mind the green grass under the tree, and a brilliant  circle of ripe, freshly fallen red apples lying in the grass around the tree like fallen treasure.  I picked up all the good ones, and hauled them back to the City with me.  

When I gave my short performance, I finished with that basket of apples.  I said something to the effect that "This is Gaia, ever generous, ever giving us what we need."  And then I invited those present to come and take the apples.  What amaze me was that the audience took every one of them,  and ate them right there!

 Many years and many  miles away from that dark little  theatre in Manhattan. But I can still taste the apple I ate that night, grateful for its sweetness, and the kind of "communion" I shared that night with that diverse audience.  Traditional Christian Communion represents the sacrificial "blood and body" of the Christ.  

But the apples of Mabon are the body and gift of our Mother Earth, lovingly and generously provided, always.

 Today I watched the sun rise over the Catalina mountains that surround Tucson, Arizona, where I live now.  I look up to  orange, magenta, violet, mauve, and a continually changing  sky, the canvas for this painting the sky ever makes, created anew twice daily.  Given and Given, like the apples of Mabon.    

This is one of my favorite songs, Robin Williamson's love song to Mother Earth.  Blessed Mabon to all!


No comments: