Sunday, May 27, 2012

Desert Stars

Photo by Wally Pacholka
To Stars

With age, I've learned to watch my feet.
I've become cautious of falls,
the honest frailty of bones
and equally fragile, the choices
found at every crossroad.
Time makes us bend
We learn the habit
of looking down.
I was blessedly no where
just some where between
"here" and "there"
a truck stop off I-40
falling off the edge of the world
into a nameless desert town,
disappearing
into a sweet black halcyon midnight
After a summer rain
shining asphalt
the smell of diesel, and chaparral
(below,  some where between
my feet and eternity)

you made your puddled,
gracious descent:
luminous Orion,
and faithful Sirius,
the dog star.
Antares, the scorpion's tail,
the Pleiades
dancing in Indra's shining jewel net.

And the Big Dipper
offering,
offering forever

3 comments:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Beautiful poem! Did you write it??

Lauren Raine said...

yes, thank you! Rain is so magical in the desert, and the stars suspend us......

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Wow! I'm impressed. An artist and a poet!