Thursday, December 14, 2023

Blue Stars

 

A poem I wrote a long time ago for someone, and never shared with anyone. He died very recently.  Remembering him, I think it is time to share the poem.  Beyond even what we call love, there is a place where we meet, perhaps, where we go Home.

Blue Stars 

"Who wants to understand the poem must go to the Land of Poetry"

...... Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

 

Weary ideas rise and fall

the mind retreats at last into blessed exhaustion

I taste that blood-red honey wine

 

I entered a lucid dream,

and found a lucid life.

 

Through an open window,

Night reveals a black, far horizon

a landscape layered with memories

made of memories

 

I hear the blue stars singing

 

     "Wait for me,

      Wait for me"

 

I wish I could tell you

what I have seen

in the homelands.

 

Perhaps,

in that country,

we are of each other at last......

 

You take my hand, we walk together

in that green and splendid meadow.

I offer you a glass; you raise your cup to mine.

Lips touch, a butterfly rises between us

and flies into the morning

from the other side of forever.

 

Through an open window,

I hear the blue stars singing.......

I write this in a small, dark room,

a cluttered here, a mute now

wishing I could be young again,

wishing I could feel something other than foolish.

I will always remember you between, always between

regret and joy, hello and goodbye

delight and sorrow, truth and lies

that bright, endarkened landscape

I saw you in.

(2002)


                           All artwork and text unless otherwise specified is COPYRIGHT Lauren Raine 2024