Monday, August 14, 2023

"At the Roots".....................

 

Well, as I return to painting trying to find my way into the complexities of paint and color, strange Personae seem to be emerging.  Who is this old woman, with her backdrop of Roots, roots that want to emerge and entwine with her white hair into the foreground?  I'm not sure who she is, but I think I like her, and I am sure she has a story of some kind.  I guess I've always been one who tries to read the stories that are in faces, whether I paint them, or make masks, or watch others use the masks to animate the stories to be found within them.

"Women at the Roots" - I reflect on an article I wrote a while back inspired by Sharon Blackies remarkable book 'If Women Rose Rooted", which I discovered when I visited Glastonbury back in 2018. 

"This is the core of our task:  to remake the world in the image of those ancient   stories.  To respect and revere ourselves, and so bring about a world in which women are respected and revered, recognized once again as holding the life-giving power of the Earth itself.  As always, the stories show us the way.  The old stories, the ones which tell us that women are the land, the Body of the Earth Mother.  The old stories, the ones in which the Earth is sacred."

Sharon Blackie 

ps:  Here's a varient in which I made her eyes a field of stars. 


No comments: