Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Martian Chronicles



 Rock Hudson:  "How should we live?"

Martian:  "Anyone with eyes can see the way to live."

Rock Hudson:  "How?"

Martian:  "By watching life, observing nature, and cooperating with it.  By living life for itself, don't your see?  Deriving pleasure from the gift of pure being.  Life is its own answer.  Accept it and enjoy it day by day.  Live as well as possible.  Expect no more.  Destroy nothing, humble nothing, look for fault in nothing, leave unsullied and untouched all that is beautiful.  Hold that which lives in all reverence, for life is given by the sovereign of our universe, given to be savored, to be respected. But that’s no secret." 

From THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, 1979.




 I miss Ray Bradbury.  I miss when aliens were wise beings more evolved than us.  I've always loved this quote from the movie.  

 

2 comments:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

I loved these books. I miss Bradbury, too. It's odd to see Rock Hudson in this role. I'd forgotten he was in the movie.

Gail said...

Its very hard to be human.