Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Masks


I'm not always sure where these characters come from..............but the masks filling my head are definately elemental.  They await storytellers, and story!  The above mask is a Trickster Goddess - I don't know her name, but she just kept flitting in and out of my imagination until I gave her a face.  Now she needs a name, and a voice!


This is a Volcano Goddess.  Not Pele................I know she seems frightening, but to me, the image is about giving birth, which is what a volcano does, gives birth to new land, to new life, the substance of the continents coming forth from the hot core of the earth.  The land is born in fire.  

This mask I call "The Lady of Avalon", and is a meditation for me upon my experiences there, in the place of the ancient sacred springs, the Red Spring  and the White Spring.  More on that later.........feels good to be in the studio, and more good news, I'm 1/3 of the way to achieving my funding with my proposal! 

2 comments:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

The trickster may be my favorite. She's lovely, she encompasses all the archetypal elements. Beautiful work, Lauren!

Lauren Raine said...

Thank you! She awaits her opportunity to dance!