Friday, June 11, 2021

Guest House

 



After 10 years,, I recently blocked off my AIRBNB listings, at least for a while.  I find that it's time for a break, and that I desire to be alone for awhile, not in service to the needs or presences of other people.  I have much to be grateful to AIRBNB for, I've met all kinds of people over the years, and it has enlarged me a great deal learning from them all.  I've had a lot of fun building a kind of "enclave" on my property, with 4 tiny houses or casitas now, in addition to the main house with it's 4 bedrooms.  I still have dreams of having more than transitory travelers here, of having perhaps someday a real community of kindred souls, but that has not happened yet.   But now I need some alone time to condense myself in my own space, so I will "retire" from "running an inn" for a while, with gratitude for all it has given me.  Here is a poem by Rumi that came to mind as I think on all the people over the years I've hosted.    Sometimes I think about how I have, however transitory, made a space for others.....and when I feel disappointed or tired, I try to remember that you never now what kind of haven one might have provided, what effect, is any, your presence, garden or art or stories or books lying around that you haven't read in years............might have.  And, of course, the other way as well, the lessons that each encounter can potentially provide.
The Guest-House

 
This being human is a guest-house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you
out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.





 

1 comment:

Shari James said...

Love your blog, Lauren; and Rumi’s poem is perfect for every occasion, everyday!
His words inspire me to watch more quietly, and more intently, as I step into our particular “guest house” everyday.

❤️❤️ Shari