Monday, June 13, 2016

Shooting in Orlando, Remembering Gabrielle Giffords


Everyone knows now about the horrific tragedy that happened at a nightclub in Orlando, Florida a day ago.  50 people lost their lives to a hatefilled, mentally ill man with a weapon of mass destruction - guns that can be bought in gun shops like buying peanuts, guns that were designed for soldiers on the battlefield.  I cannot express the sadness I feel, once again, to hear of the loss of so many lives, I cannot speak, except to send my prayers into the ether for their loved ones, the hundreds of people who are suffering now.

 I remember when Obama made his extraordinary speech here in Tucson, to a capacity crowd of a thousand in 2011, after Gabrielle Giffords was shot, and so many died, including a little girl just nine  years ago.

But nothing changed, and we continue to be held hostage by gun lobbies and the underlying machismo and violence of American culture.   And it is always a young man – the elephant in the room that no one ever talks about.

Below are photos from the Vigil outside of Gabrielle Giffords office in 2011 - I was there.  Can there be peace?  Or do we just wait for the next tragedy?  



Monday, January 10, 2011


Vigil Photos for Gabrielle and for Peace







Peace over the state flag.




 
I was very struck by the many messages people left  about Peace.  Not just a blessing and prayer for Gabrielle and for the the others, but for our nation and our world.  I truly felt that.



No comments: