Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Spiral Dance

Web Weaving at Tucson Spiral Dance (2000)

Weaver, Weaver, weave our thread
whole & strong into your web
Healer, Healer, heal our pain
in love may we return again

We are dark and we are light
we are born of earth and light
of joy and pain our lives are spun
male and female, old and young

No one knows why we are born
A web is made, a web is torn
But love is the home that we come from
and at the core we all are one

Of life's  Spring may we drink deep
and awake to dream and die to sleep
and dreaming weave another form
a shining thread of life reborn

Weaver, Weaver, weave our thread
whole and strong into your Web
Healer, Healer, heal our pain
in love may we return again

~~~Starhawk, (from "The Spiral Dance")

Blessings at Samhain to all as we celebrate the year passed, and remember our Beloved Dead.

My first "Spider Woman" performance (1999)

The Wheel of the Year has turned again to a new Spiral Dance.  Samhain, Dia de Los Muertos, the Witches New Year, the last Harvest Festival, and Halloween (once known as "Hallowed Eve") is almost here, and I remember the Spiral Dance.  I've posted about this beautiful ritual before, and wanted to do so again. 

I looked up "The Spiral Dance" on UTube, and was surprised by two things.First, up came a picture of my former roomate, and inspirational mentor, Judy Foster.  Judy was much loved in the Bay Area, as one of the founders of  Reclaiming, and also one of the founders of Food Not Bombs in the Northern California.  She passed away in 2000, and when I brought the Spiral Dance to Tucson that year, with the help of Macha Nightmare, who came to facilitate the ritual, we had a place of honor for Judy on our North Altar, the altar of the Beloved Dead.


Thumbnail
Judy Foster  (1997)



Hecate Mask made from Judy Foster's face (2001)


There is no footage of the years I participated, assisting in the "Invocation to the Goddess" with my collection, THE MASKS OF THE GODDESS (they didn't allow photographs until 2008), but I see friends in the video - Macha Nightmare, Evelie Posche, Starhawk, Kala, Drissana Devananda and  others. I wish I could attend this year, and I thank in spirit the many people I knew there.

The Spiral Dance Ritual 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw40xupfOY&feature=related&oref=http%

http://youtu.be/kzw40xupfOY

 **Starhawk has released an important book recently, which I also feel like sharing.  For more information, visit:  The Empowerment Manual

 

No comments: