Friday, March 12, 2010

"My God, it's full of stars........"

painting by Rob Schouten



To Stars

With age,
I’ve learned to watch my feet.

I’ve become cautious of falls,
the true frailty of bones,
and the fragile choices
found at every crossroad.
Time makes us bend:

we learn the habit
of looking down.

I was falling
off the edge of the world,
in a nameless little desert town,
disappearing into a sweet black
halcyon midnight
amid smells of diesel,
black asphalt and chaparral,
after a summer rain.

Blessedly nowhere,
just between
"here" and "there"
a truck stop off I-40.

Then I saw you make your
gracious, puddled descent.

Luminous Orion

and faithful Sirius, the Dog Star.
Antares, the Scorpion’s tail,
the Pleiades, dancing
in Indra’s shining jewel net.

And the Big Dipper,

offering,
offering,
offering
forever



Lauren Raine




"When I'm writing I don't dream much;
it's like the dreaming gets used in the writing."
Ursula K. Le Guin

(Quotes by Ursula K. Le Guin)

2 comments:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Damn. This is beautiful.

Lauren Raine said...

Thanks so much to both of you!
Funny, I pulled out this poem, which was vaguely inspired by a long ago read story by Ursula Leguin that had a line about a man who saw the stars hidden in the earth........and today, I ran across a wonderful musical based on that very story. Threads..........