Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Icons for the Earth

Study for "Numina"

I can't believe that in a month I'll be heading west again, back to Tucson. I wish I could remain on the East Coast, see the snows and the spring come. I left my heart in the East a long time ago, and can't seem to drag it entirely into the arid lands.

My sculpture Weavers is laid out on the floor of the studio, and will soon be finished and mounted at Wesley. I was amazed to see that after I assembled it (it's about 9 feet tall) it had a cohesive story within its structure. Of course, I had to lay it out to see that! More later, when I have some photos.


The first deities of Rome (before it became an empire, and before it adopted Greek mythologies) were called "Numina", roughly translated, "spirits of place", or the  "mind of place". These early deities included Pomona, goddess of the Orchards, and other local deities concerned with the well being of trees, springs, deer, etc. As I thought about creating my personal Icons, I returned to the intelligence of nature, the invocation of the  "numinous".


Sometimes I see that the Deity I felt in the woods as a child, the conversations I had with beaches and stones and butterflies, are not entirely lost to me. There are still places I can go, where those friendly and mysterious voices still invite me to join the conversation. The divine is beneath our feet, in the roots, the cracks, the dragon trails of wind and rain moving across the expressive faces of the day. I like this image, I think the eyes mean to me that immanent presence I feel in nature.


16 million tons of rain
are falling every second
on the planet,
an ocean
perpetually falling
and every drop
is your body

Drew Dellinger

No comments: