Sunday, July 26, 2009

CESL!


Well, I'm suddenly immersed in my month long certificate program at the Center for English as a Second Language at the University of Arizona, and I do mean "immersed". Suddenly, my days are scheduled with classes, lectures, observations, practicum, homework, readings, and of course the ever ubiquitous computer rooms. I go home, have a glass of wine, briefly escape into one of the familiar magical worlds of Ursula Leguin Earthsea or maybe the ever troubled landscapes of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover......and I'm out like a light.

I have to admit, I'm having a great time with it! The instructors are fantastic, my classmates, who range in age from early 20's to late 60's, are wonderful and interesting people all, and my mind is daily opening to new vistas of linguistics, language comprehension, teaching methodology, and other cultures, that I never imagined. Perhaps what I'm enjoying most is to sit in these classes observing these young people from all over the world talking, sharing, discussing. Weaving of worlds, weaving of understanding........lovely to see.

It's good to LEARN. In fact, it's a great joy to learn. Learning will keep you young. Guaranteed.

I'm going to give a presentation next week (PowerPoint) about SPIDER WOMAN at Dinnerware Gallery here in Tucson. Here's the info about the event:

Thursday, July 30, 2009
IGNITE Tucson -
5 minute presentations by Tucson Artists.
At The Screening Room, 127 E. Congress.

No comments: